FRAN Graduate Student Handbook
- The 2021-2022 FRAN Graduate Student Handbook is a great resource for all students. It includes all department policies and procedures.
Schedules of Dates & Deadlines
- The Schedules of Dates and Deadlines include important timelines and deadlines for students on a semesterly basis. The following links contain the schedules by degree type.
- MSc Thesis Schedule of Dates & Deadlines
- MSc MRP Schedule of Dates & Deadlines
- MAN Schedule of Dates & Deadlines
- PhD Schedule of Dates & Deadlines (for students who began in F20 and later)
- PhD AHN Schedule of Dates & Deadlines (for students who began before F20)
- PhD FRHD Schedule of Dates & Deadlines (for students who began before F20)
- You can get involved in the department in various ways by participating in these, and other events in the department. If you have any suggestions for events, please don't hesitate to contact us.
- Thesis/Major Paper Proposal Form
- QE Contextual Statement and Reading List Approval Form
- QE Committee Appointment Form
- Travel Request Form
- Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Forms
PhD Qualifying Exam - For AHN & FRHD Students
- According to the University of Guelph Graduate Calendar, "As a qualifying examination, consideration is to be given not only (1) to the student's knowledge of the subject matter and ability to integrate the material derived from his or her studies, but also (2) to the student's ability and promise in research. The examining committee, therefore, will receive from the advisory committee a written evaluation of the quality of the student's research performance to date and of the student's potential as a researcher. The examining committee will determine the relative importance to be given to these two major components of the qualifying examination."
- Department of Family Relations and Applied Nutrition's Qualifying Examination (QE) Processes
- Qualifying Examination (QE) Process including paperwork (for all students who began F20 and later)
- Required QE paperwork
Thesis & Defence Guidelines
Refer first to the information provided by the Office of Graduate Studies:
For FRAN graduate students, please also see our Thesis and Defense Guidelines and our Defence Checklists:
The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies is happy to announce the posting of the new Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETD) Guide. When submitting a thesis on-line, all required forms must be submitted to the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies prior to the acceptance of the thesis. Failure to do so may result in rejection of the thesis or delay in graduation. Please reference the submission checklist for information of submission requirements.
Submission of a thesis to ProQuest may be made independently by the student, should they wish additional publication at through ProQuest/UMI.
- The Office of Graduate Studies offers this information regarding Graduation procedures.
- We are happy to announce an automated process for the Application for Graduation for graduate students. Each semester graduate students in semester 2 and up receive an email asking them to self identify their eligibility for graduation and to apply on-line. Should a student apply to graduate and find out later in the semester that they will not be eligible, their application will be rolled over to the next semester at no cost to the student.
- If you have any questions p
- lease contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate Student Assistants (GTAs)
- GTA postings
- FRAN Guidelines for Selection and Evaluation of GTAs
- For more information on being a GTA, including the Collective Agreement and Benefit information, please visit the CUPE website.
FRAN Student Resources and Handbook
Please see this 21-22 FRAN Grad Student Resource Handbook. It is a Handbook for students, created by students.