The Graduate Studies website is the source for information for international applicants. The following information is intended as a GUIDELINE ONLY:
- International transcripts require special evaluation. Transcript legends (reverse side of most transcripts) should be included when possible. Refer to the International Credential Evaluation Guidelines.
- Additional grading systems may exist in any country.
- Course content will be compared and considered within the context of level of study.
- Transcripts and reference letters will be verified for authenticity.
- English Language Proficiency Certification is required for students whose first language is not English.
If your first language is not English, you will be required to submit the results of a standardized language test. The language requirements must be met prior to consideration for admission. Please see the Graduate Studies website for acceptable tests and required scores. Also visit the official website for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Test results must be sent to the department directly from the original source.
The language requirement may be waived in exceptional circumstances only.
ESL University of Guelph Preparation Programs
The Office of Open Learning offers programs for those applicants requiring English upgrading prior to studying in a graduate program. The English Language Certificate Program is an intensive English program designed to prepare language skills, academic skills and cultural knowledge for successful study in a graduate program. Completing the Advanced level of the English Language Certificate Program earns the student the University of Guelph Certificate of Proficiency. This certificate meets the English proficiency requirements for entry into graduate study.