CSTU and FSHD Careers

There are many career paths available to students in the Child Studies (CSTU) and Family Studies and Human Development (FSHD) programs. Through the effective use of elective courses, the core requirements in your major can be supplemented to create a program of study that will prepare you for a variety of careers. Those marked with a star require further education.

Careers available to both CSTU and FSHD graduates include:

Careers specifically for CSTU graduates include:

Careers specifically for FSHD graduates include:


Careers available to both CSTU and FSHD graduates include:

Community-based services

Graduate Education

Graduate programs (Masters and Ph.D.) vary in the requirements for admission. Students who intend to pursue a graduate degree after completing the BASc in CSTU or FSHD should become familiar with the requirements of the various graduate programs that are of interest and select electives accordingly. 

The Department of Family Relations and Applied Nutrition (FRAN) offers several graduate degrees applicable to BASc graduates. Please the list of programs and details on its Graduate webpage

 Also, http://www.gradschools.com/ may be a helpful website in locating some graduate programs but please note a number of Canadian graduate programs may not be listed.

Back to menu

Health Promotion



For extensive information about medical schools in Ontario, visit the Ontario Medical Schools (OMSAS) link on the Ontario Universities Application Centre website. You will require extensive science electives, and careful planning of your degree.  Check with individual schools, and speak with your Program Counsellor for assistance. For enquiries regarding a career in medicine; see Canadian Faculties of Medicine,
Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada

Back to menu

Mental Health Services


There are Nursing programs available in Ontario community colleges, see Nursing on ontariocolleges.ca. Information regarding Accredited Canadian Nursing Education program and accelerated programs may be found at the Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing website. For example, the University of Toronto has a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN) while McMaster University has an Accelerated Nursing program.

Occupational Therapy


Many of your electives will need to be courses taken from the Department of Psychology if you want to enter a graduate program in Psychology. You will also need to do a 4th year thesis, FRHD*4810 and FRHD*4910. Most psychology programs require the GRE (Graduate Record Exam) for entrance into the program.  See the listing of accredited programs recognized by the Canadian Psychological Association.

Back to menu


Speech/Language Pathology

Social Work

Graduate Social Work programs in Ontario must be applied to through the individual universities and there is not currently one central resource for admission requirements.  The Ontario Association of Social Workers website provides information on social work as a career as well the social work education programs offered in Ontario. 

Back to menu


Faculties of Education (Teacher Colleges) in Ontario vary in the requirements that are suggested for admission. Students who intend to pursue a career in teaching should become familiar with the requirements of the colleges that are of interest and select electives accordingly. The Program Counsellor or the Faculty Advisor may assist you in choosing electives.

For extensive information about teacher education programs in Ontario, visit the Teacher Education Application Service (TEAS) on the Ontario Universities Application Centre website.
In Ontario, you must be certified by the Ontario College of Teachers to teach in this province’s publicly funded schools.

For students who wish to teach primary (junior kindergarten to grade 3) or junior (grades 4 to 6), each faculty of education may have certain required courses for admission. Often recommended are courses in visual or performing arts, mathematics, languages, physical or natural sciences, Canadian history or Canadian geography. 

Students interested in teaching intermediate (grades 7 to 10) need to acquire a teachable subject in a specific discipline. Normally, this requirement consists of six semester courses in an area of concentration. Students are strongly advised to contact the Faculties of Education that interest them early in their programs to determine the specific requirements.

Students interested in teaching intermediate/senior (grades 7 through 12) need to acquire a first teachable subject and a second teachable subject. Normally a first teachable requires 5.00 credits in a subject area, and a second teachable requires 3.00 credits in another subject area from the Teaching Subjects listed by a Faculty of Education. Students are strongly advised to contact the Faculties of Education that interest them early in their programs to determine the specific requirements. 

Back to menu

Careers specifically for CSTU graduates include:

Child Life and Pediatric Psychosocial Care*

The Master of Science in Child Life and Pediatric Psychosocial Care program and is located at McMaster University. 

Early Childhood Education

Back to menu

Careers specifically for FSHD graduates include:

Adult or Parent Education


Sex Therapy

For more information on becoming a registered sex therapist, see the Board of Examiners for Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists’ (BESTO) website. You will need to become a licensed marriage and family therapist, psychologist, or social worker before you can get additional training and certification as a sex therapist.

Back to menu

Sexuality Education

Therapeutic Recreation*

Back to menu