1st Year Fall Elective Suggestions
The courses listed below are in the Undergraduate Calendar as Fall Semester offerings. When registering for the current Fall Semester, please check WebAdvisor since it provides confirmation of course offerings and course delivery format.
Electives may be in a subject area that interests you and are completely your choice. Although, the BASc Counselling staff cannot suggest specific choices, please find below some suggestions you may find helpful.
Please check WebAdvisor for space availability, Priority Access, class dates, times and ensure no scheduling conflicts if applicable.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of first year courses. There are also courses in Biology, Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics that require 4U prerequisite(s) from high school. There are language courses such as French that may require a 4U prerequisites or native ability. Check Section X. Course Descriptions in the Undergraduate Calendar for further information and contact the relevant department if you have questions.
Another possible elective is the First Year Seminar courses under the course code UNIV*1200. Please note sections are opened gradually as well as adding spaces to sections. This course is only available to first year students. Again, please check WebAdvisor for the topic of each section course and register early since class size is very limited.
- ANTH*1120 Biological Anthropology
- ANTH*1150 Introduction to Anthropology
- ARTH*1510 Art Historical Studies I
- BIOL*1070 Discovering Biodiversity
- BIOL*1500 Humans in the Natural World
- ECON*1050 Introductory Microeconomics
- ENGL*1200 Reading the Contemporary World
- ENGL*1030 Effective Writing
- EURO*1100 European Cinema
- FRHD*1100 Life: Health and Well Being
- GEOG*1200 Society and Space
- GEOG*1220 Human Impact on the Environment
- GEOG*1300 Introduction to the Biophysical Environment
- GEOG*1350 Earth: Hazards & Global Change
- GERM*1100 Introductory German I — This course may not normally be taken by anyone who has 4U German.
- HIST*1010 The Early Modern World
- HIST*1150 The Modern World
- HIST*1250 Science and Technology in a Global Context
- HORT*1130 The Science of Gardening
- IDEV*1000 Understanding Development and Global Inequalities
- ITAL*1060 Introductory Italian I — Not available to students who have credit for 4U Italian or equivalent.
- LAT*1100 Preliminary Latin — Not available to students who have credit for 4U Latin or equivalent.
- LING*1000 Introduction to Linguistics
- MUSC*1060 Amadeus to Zeppelin: Music and Culture
- PHIL*1000 Classic Thinkers
- PHIL*1010 Introductory Philosophy: Social and Political Issues
- PHIL*1030 Sex, Love, and Friendship
- POLS*1150 Understanding Politics
- POLS*1500 World Politics
- SOC*1500 Crime and Criminal Justice
- SPAN*1100 Introductory Spanish I — For students with no previous studies in Spanish.
- THST*1040 Introduction to Performance
- THST*1200 The Languages of Media
- WMST*1000 Introduction to Women's Studies
Updated July 8, 2020